Brown Bag Introductory Essay
Prompt: Write an essay describing three personal items that you would use to introduce yourself to Borger (& the rest of the class).
Discussion of the Prompt: Write a complete essay introducing yourself to Borger. The writing tone can be informal, but you should still have an introduction, body, & conclusion. If you were going to show & tell, what three items would you bring to describe yourself? Prepare a short introduction, discuss each item separately (why you chose it, why it is significant, what it tells us about you, etc.), & end with a short conclusion.
- This assignment is worth 50 points.
- This assignment is due Tuesday, 08/26/2014.
- Late essays will be accepted on Wednesday, 08/27/2014 for ½ credit.
- Essays must follow MLA format:
- Typed in Times New Roman 12 pt. font or handwritten in ink
- Double-spaced (if handwritten, skip every other line & only write on one side of the page)
- 1” margins all around (if handwritten, use the red lines on both sides as a guide)
- If handwritten, edges should be clean, not torn off or frayed.
- Staple multiple pages together.
- Put your last name & page number in the upper right corner of each page (not necessary on the first page)
- Essays must be organized
- Introduction with attention getter & funnel to a thesis statement which lists your three items
- Body paragraphs with clear topic sentences. Body paragraphs should include details of the object as a well as a detailed discussion of how it defines you.
- Conclusion summarizing your items. Include an exigency: a Jerry Springer Final Moment where you leave me with something to think about as I leave your paper.